It’s autumn, what do we eat?

Learn about the best fruits and vegetables to incorporate into your dishes throughout this season.

While almost all produce can be grown anywhere year-round, the produce that is stocked in supermarkets across the country (or around the world) is not easy to get to its point of sale. Buying local, seasonal produce not only potentially reduces our carbon footprint and helps local economies, but can also result in more nutritious products as they contain fewer chemicals.

Learn about the best fruits and vegetables to incorporate into your dishes throughout this season.


These sweet, crunchy fall fruits are packed with antioxidants, which can help prevent chronic disease and slow aging. Among the popular apple varieties (there are over 7,500 different types!), Fuji apples have the highest concentration of phenolics and flavonoids.

Beets or beetroot

They can be available year-round, but beets are at their best in the fall. In addition to the familiar purple-red color, you can also find golden, white and even multi-colored beets. When shopping, look for bulbs that are firm and soft and (if connected) bright green and crisp.

Brussels sprouts and cabbage

Packed with vitamins A and C, Brussels sprouts have high concentrations of glucosinolates, which may fight cancer (they also give these vegetables their distinctive flavor).


Between the size of a raisin and a grape, blueberries taste their best from October through November, although only 5 percent make it to the fresh produce section (the remaining 95 percent are dried, canned or juiced). Research suggests that cranberry concentrate may help prevent urinary tract infections and that fresh cranberries may help prevent oral diseases and slow the growth of cancer.


Pears are high in soluble fiber, which helps reduce “bad” cholesterol (LDL). These sweet fruits are divided into two main categories: European and Asian.

Sweet potato

It is full of nutrients, especially beta-carotene. Beta-carotene keeps the immune system strong and stable and helps maintain optimal vision.


Pumpkin is one of the best sources of alpha and beta-carotene, which can be converted into retinol to promote healthy vision and cell growth. Pumpkin seeds are also a good source of alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid that may help people with heart disease, high blood pressure or high cholesterol.


While much of the research has been inconclusive, some studies suggest that the antioxidants in the fruit may reduce the risk of cardiovascular complications such as heart attacks. Early studies also suggest that pomegranate may help prevent breast and colon cancers,


Ginger helps to improve the digestive system thanks to its ability to relax and soothe the muscles of the intestinal tract, causes the elimination of gases, reduces inflammation in uncomfortable joints and even helps to reduce nausea.


This vegetable has similar benefits to beetroot, with its extraordinary content of betalains. However, it also contains 12 other phytonutrients that function as antioxidants in the body. Plus, just one boiled cup produces 636 percent of your daily vitamin K needs.

Now that you know which fruits and vegetables are in season, be sure to include them in your diet and enjoy all the benefits they offer. Don’t forget to take SynergyO2 products as well. Now that the temperatures are starting to drop, you need to keep your immune system strong to be less prone to fall-related illnesses.